5 Great Ways to Make New Friends
We’ve compiled our best list of tried and true ways to make new friends for both students and parents as the school year begins:
- Smile! It may seem obvious, but the more time you smile during a conversation, the more friendly you’re perceived to be. Make eye contact and exercise those facial muscles. When we’re anxious or distracted, we can appear unnecessarily unhappy and that makes it more difficult for others to approach us. Scripture affirms this, too!
Proverbs 15:13 "A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit."
- Look for shared interests and experiences as points of connection. Athletics, pets, interest in art or other hobbies, love of reading — they’re all potential friendship builders. Our school’s after-school clubs and activities are great ways to meet new friends and stretch with new relationships.
- Look for ways to help another person. We all respond more favorably to those who extend a kindness, demonstrate polite behavior, or show grace when we have a need. A "you first" attitude whether in the parking lot or on the playground will go a long way to opening doors of friendship. For parents, serving together around the school can be one of the most fulfilling and friendship-building seasons of life.
- Remember to pray! Ask God to give you discernment to know who might be receptive to a new friendship, and who would be a good friend in return. And speaking of prayer, did you know that our faculty, staff, and administration are praying for our school’s students and their families in the area of relationship building? That’s why we schedule events like the Student Fun Fair (this year on September 8). Our Moms in Prayer (most Mondays, 9-10 a.m.) and Fathers’ Prayer Meetings (first Thursdays, 7 a.m.) are practical ways to meet like-minded school parents. They’re also a great way for parents to make new friends.
- Remember that there is a friend who sticks "closer than a brother." Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? Our teachers, staff members, or administrators would all be happy to talk to you about a life-changing relationship with Jesus Christ!
Learn about Wheaton Christian Grammar School’s academics,
admissions process, and tuition assistance program.